OPINION: Ditch the dining hall and start meal prepping.

Tired of gross school dining food? Try meal-prepping. It is more efficient, less expensive and also a great way to get healthy home-cooked meals. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

Let’s be honest, dining hall food isn’t for everyone.

For me, dining hall food lacks what home-cooked meals have in diversity and honest flavor.

Walking into a busy dining hall is the last thing I want after a long day. The lines are long and there ends up not being a lot of options left.

In general there are not very many options for me to choose from because of my dietary needs and being a picky eater. 

So, I started meal prepping.

To save money and to have a healthier diet, students should start cooking at home. 

You should meal prep because it’s more efficient, healthier, less expensive and the best way you can get a home-cooked meal. 

Meal prepping makes me feel ready for the week. Buying my own groceries helps me be more intentional about eating healthier because I am more knowledgeable about where my ingredients come from. 

Eating out at restaurants creates a less healthy diet at a higher cost, according to a study by the University of Washington School of Public Health.

You are more knowledgeable about where your food comes from when meal prepping.

Meal prepping also helps me save money.

The cheapest meal plan at USF is $2,350 per semester plus extra dining dollars. 

My groceries are about $160 per month adding up to $1,600 from August to May. That’s $750 saved on food. 

Meal prepping gives me some room to buy other things like rent, textbooks, other supplies I need, etc. 

It’s easy girl math if you ask me.

Although meal prepping can be healthier and help financially, it can also be quite a chore to do. 

To stay motivated, I make a menu of meals for the week. I also find that cooking can be fun because there are so many different recipes.

Some of my favorite recipes are chicken with orzo, vodka pasta and chicken stir fry.

Making a list of what meals to cook can help save time too.

Although it can seem daunting, meal prepping can be done in just a few steps. First, find some recipes online and save them.

It is best to find vegetables, meat and other snacks to include in your prepping. The frozen food aisle at Publix is great for precooked meat and vegetables. I prefer them fresh, but frozen can make it easier to cook.

I know not everyone wants to eat the same thing seven days a week, so it is important to find some diversity in your cooking which can also be through flavor.

To substitute meat and add some diverse flavor, I fry some chickpeas and tofu for a good protein substitute.

I add different types of flavor to change it up like chili oil, soy sauce or even taco mix.

At grocery stores, there is also a diverse range of seasonings and premade sauces that can be added to meals.

Other meals for lunch include different salads, deli meat and a snack. Hummus is my favorite to put on different things.

So, when you don’t feel like eating the dining hall food, grab that Tupperware and start meal prepping.