Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

OPINION: USF students, don’t wait until Thanksgiving to be grateful

Focus on your blessings, not your problems. ORACLE GRAPHIC/ JEISLIAN QUILES-SIERRA

Are you the kind of person who has a glass-half-empty or glass-half-full mentality?

In a society that runs on instant gratification and unrealistic aspirations, it can be easy to fall into the trap of always chasing after the next best thing and lose sight of finding appreciation in the mundane.

But instead of focusing on the negative all the time, we should change our perspective to see blessings rather than burdens and find contentment in the simple things.

I found this easiest to do by keeping a thankful journal to reflect, and I encourage you to start one, too. 

Related: Overwhelmed with school? Try journaling

When I was in middle school, I fell into a pattern of constant grumbling and dissatisfaction. Thankfully my mom helped me through this dull time by encouraging me to change my outlook on life.

Related: Why I prioritize slow mornings and why you should too

My guilt eventually caught up to me when I acknowledged how self-centered I was being. A flood of remorse consumed me when I noticed how ungrateful I was acting all the time. 

I was sad at how much time I had wasted being so discontented and creating my own problems. The scariest thing was that it had become such a habit to where I eventually didn’t even realize when I was complaining. 

Fortunately, starting my thankful journal helped me nip that unhealthy habit in the bud. 

My thankful journal helps me be more intentional with counting my blessings. ORACLE PHOTO/ ALLISON R. SMITH

I began by finding five things each day that I would list on the pages of that lifesaver of a notebook. I was amazed at how many blessings popped up. They were always there, I just didn’t see them because I was too invested in seeing the negative in every circumstance. 

After a few days, I found myself becoming less and less disgruntled. The blessings were piling up and the so-called problems in my life were dwindling rapidly.

If you struggle like I once did, here are some thoughts and tips based on my own experiences to help you remain thankful:

Tomorrow is not guaranteed

Every breath is a blessing. Be content with each day and live it as if it’s your last. 

Appreciate everything in the here and now. Refrain from putting all your hope in the future, seeking after the next greatest thing.

Let the little things satisfy you

Something doesn’t have to be super impressive to satisfy. I even smile when a butterfly or cardinal lands nearby. 

When you start appreciating every little thing, a chain reaction of thankfulness happens and makes it pretty difficult for the negative to creep in.

Don’t take things for granted 

Stop overlooking everyday things and see them as blessings. These are not always a given so you should be extra thankful.

The USF workers are a blessing. Say thank you when you see them. 

The easy access to school dining halls is a blessing. Think of people who are starving. 

A campus where everything is within walking distance is a blessing. Thank God for having legs to walk. 

You get the idea…

Be selfless, not selfish

Challenge yourself to do one nice thing for someone a day. 

Volunteering can help because you see the hard work pay off when other people are blessed, and there’s not enough time to stop and focus on yourself and your issues.

Your mind is powerful

You are what you say you are. 

If you tell your brain you’re grumpy, then you’re grumpy. If you say you’re going to find joy through the pain and be content in every circumstance of life, then you will. 

Remind yourself that God always gets you through your struggles. You’re still standing here alive today, aren’t you? 

So to summarize, you don’t have to wait until November to be thankful. 

Put a smile on your face and embrace a daily lifestyle of having an attitude of gratitude.