Here’s what you missed in USF Athletics this month

New women’s golf coach AJ Newell addressed the crowd at her introductory press conference ORACLE PHOTO/ JEISLIAN QUILES-SIERRA

June has been a month of transformation for many USF Athletics’ coaching staffs. Over the last few weeks, Athletics Director Michael Kelly has announced leadership changes across various sports.

From new hires, to promotions, to extensions, USF sports will consist of a blend of new and old faces in coaching positions.

Here are some notable moves by the Bulls Athletics department you may have missed.

Moves in men’s basketball

Marreese Speights playing for the Golden State Warriors. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/WIKIMEDIA COMMONS & KEITH ALLISON

On June 5, Kelly announced the extension of men’s basketball coach Amir Abdur-Rahim’s contract. However, that wasn’t the only move the program would make that week. 

Abdur-Rahim and USF Athletics announced that he would be bringing on Marreese Speights, an NBA first-round pick. 

Related: USF makes Abdur-Rahim among AAC’s highest paid men’s basketball coaches for the next season

Speights, a St. Petersburg native, is the new director of player development for the Bulls. The former Golden State Warrior most recently served as an assistant coach for Georgia Southern in the 2023-2024 season.

“Oh yea we ready, let’s do it” Speights said via X, after USF announced his role with the program.

Three current staff members for Bulls men’s basketball also received promotions this month. 

Joi Williams is now listed as both general manager and chief of staff for USF. The former assistant athletic director for women’s basketball at Mississippi State was also a four-year starter for the Bulls  from 1984-1988.

Griffin McHone and Ben Fletcher moved up to the assistant coach and associate head coach positions, respectively. 

McHone previously served as the director of player development, and Fletcher served as an assistant coach. 

Both men were part of Kennesaw State’s staff under Abdur-Rahim in the 2022-23 season, and followed him to USF after his departure from the Owls.

New arrival in women’s golf

After leading the Bulls to back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances, former women’s golf coach Erika Brennan decided to take the same position at Georgia. Her successor will be AJ Newell, a Tampa native and former LGPA Tour Player.

Related: PHOTOS: USF introduces head baseball coach Mitch Hannahs

“I’m so happy to be returning to Tampa Bay and to call it home once again,” Newell said in her introductory press conference on Friday.

After finishing her prep career with Northside Christian High School in St. Petersburg, Newell went on to play four years at Tennessee. During her years with the Volunteers, she posted seven top-10 finishes, and appeared twice in the NCAA finals, once in 2012 and again in 2015.

After an injury led to her retirement from professional golf in 2020, Newell landed an assistant coaching job at Michigan the following year, where she remained until her move to USF. 

During her Michigan tenure, she helped lead the Wolverines to three straight NCAA tournaments, including a finals appearance in 2022.

Extension for Shepardson

USF granted volleyball coach Jolene Shepardson an extension after claiming the 2023 AAC East Division title. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

On June 7, USF announced a contract extension through the year 2026 for volleyball coach Jolene Shepardson.

“I love being here,” Shepardson said on South Florida Bulls Radio Network. “I feel very supported by Michael Kelly. I know we put in a lot of work and it’s finally paying off.”

The Bulls are coming off a season where Shepardson led the team to heights they had never reached in program history before.

Last year, USF captured the American Athletic Conference East Division title and ranked third overall in the conference. Its 22 wins on the season also marked their first winning campaign since 2018.

Shepardson also guided the Bulls to their fourth ever NVIC tournament appearance in 2023, and their first postseason appearance since 2018. Their three wins in the NVIC set a record for the longest playoff run in program history. 

Many USF sports are in the offseason during the summer. It remains to be seen if Kelly makes further changes before teams resume in the fall.

The Oracle needs help. Learn how