Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

Undefeated streak ends during semester break

After starting the season 7-0, the soaring Bulls were rudely brought back down to Earth by Florida, as the then sixth-ranked Gators defeated the Bulls 92-73 at the Sun Dome Dec. 8. The turning point came during a stifling 16-0 Gators run midway through the second half. Reggie Kohn led USF with 18 points on six three-pointers.

Things didn’t get any easier for the Bulls as they traveled to face then 18th-ranked Syracuse at the Carrier Dome Dec. 20. Propelled by the return of coach Jim Boeheim following a three-game medical absence, the Orangemen cruised to an 80-68 win. Altron Jackson paced the Bulls with 22 points.

But the Bulls bounced back to win the USF Holiday Classic Dec. 28-29 at the Sun Dome after defeating Bucknell 59-56 in the semifinal game and Illinois-Chicago 82-78 in the championship. Jackson scored 21 against Bucknell, but none were bigger than the go-ahead basket with 42 seconds left to play. Against Illinois-Chicago, Jackson (25 points, 10 rebounds) and Waldon (11, 14) each posted double-doubles, earning the pair a spot alongside McDonald on the All-Tournament Team. Jackson was also named the MVP of the Classic.

USF retired former great Radenko Dobras’ jersey during a halftime ceremony, but visiting FSU overcame a 52-45 second-half deficit to upset the Bulls 78-74 Jan. 2 at the Sun Dome. Jackson led USF with 23 points and 10 steals.

• Brandon Wright