Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

The Week Ahead

Rap Duels

The Best of Both Worlds
Tonight, 10 p.m.
Special Events Center

This rap duel features students from USF and the University of Tampa battling each other in the war of the spoken word. Representing USF will be M.O.B., while UT will be defended by Versatile Family, their own rap group. Also performing live are TNT & A3 and Mr. Rush. The event is free to students with a valid USF or UT student ID, and $5 for the general public.

Ethnography and Diaspora

The Field’s Edge: Africa, Diaspora, Lens
Reception Friday, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Symposium: Discerning the Diaspora
Friday, 10 a.m. – Noon
Contemporary Art Museum

The exhibition explores the connections between contemporary art and colonial ethnography, mostly from Africa and the Diaspora. It centers on the subjective use of the artists’ experiences in their use of photography. It also focuses on the themes of politics of narrative and domestic life and the notions of home and community. The relationship between art and ethnography is accentuated in this diverse collection by artists of African and Caribbean heritage. The symposium will concern the Diaspora identities and their understanding, definition and representation in the contemporary world.

Duos and Tubas

Octubafest: Concert
Saturday, 8 p.m.
Music Recital Hall, FAH 101

The evening will present a program of varied ensembles, ranging from duos and trios to octets. Also, the entire tuba and euphonium studio will perform together. The music performed will be from composers of the caliber of Bach, Moussorgsky and Barber. Moussorgsky’s “Night on Bald Mountain” has been arranged for the ensemble by tuba student Reginald Curtis. They will also perform lighter selections, such as Tchaikovsky’s “Sleeping Tuba Waltz.” Tickets are $4 for general admission and $3 for students and seniors.

Opera Time

Opera is in the Air
Sunday, 6:30 p.m.
Music Recital Hall

Marianna Rigaki, a Greek opera soprano singer, will perform a concert of classical repertoire at USF’s recital hall. Rigaki’s background in opera singing has won her awards at the Maria Callas International Singing Competition. She has just returned from her Canada tour. Rigaki will be accompanied by Yannis Xylas, a graduate of the Macedonian Conservatory of Music in piano and organ. He has worked with operas in Thessaloniki, Greece, and New York. His specialty is in Greek classical music and in rarely performed music. Tickets are $25 for general public and $15 for students.

Working Together

Colab
Opens Monday and runs through Nov. 1
Centre Gallery

This is the first collaboration by USF and high school students from the Tampa area to be hosted by the Gallery. Seven students from area schools were chosen to be paired with a USF graduate or undergraduate student to create brand new work. The works in the show will be jurored by the chairman of USF’s School of Art and Art History, Wallace Wilson, and one will be awarded $100 for the best synthesis of the two artists’ talents.

Dreams and Nightmares

Waking Life
Tuesday, 9 p.m.
Marshall Center, Room 296

The first film in the Foreign and Independent Film Festival series to be of the latter kind, Waking Life was written and directed by an American writer, Richard Linklater. It won the 2001 New York Film Critics Circle Award for the best animated film. The film follows the attempt of a man to distinguish between the real, awake life and that of his dreams. In his quest to find a way to wake up, he encounters many existential questions on life and its mysteries. And although the film does not answer them all, it provides an inspiration to find the truth.

Songs in the Open

Ron Irizzary
Tuesday, 8 p.m.
Martin Luther King Plaza

Irizarry is a singer/songwriter mixing R&B, pop and rock into a well blended mix that has gained him the attention of many. He was the opening act of the ‘N Sync “No Strings Attached” tour and has played alongside Pink, Sisqo, Jordan Knight and Mandy Moore. The event is free to the public.

Enough is Enough

Enough
Wednesday, 9 p.m.
Crescent Hill

This recent Jennifer Lopez drama shows the Latin pop star as a single mother on the run from her abusive husband. She tries to learn to battle the man she thought was perfect. Worried about her only daughter getting hurt, J-Lo decides to take up boxing and disguise herself. The film touches on a sensitive subject and dwells on the idea of fighting back.