Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

SG assures ’03 bowl money for students

Should the Bulls reach a bowl next season, Student Government will again designate money to help send students to the game.

With a 9-2 record, the USF football team had an outside chance of receiving a bowl invitation in December. SG soon followed that lead and took $50,000 out of unallocated reserves to fund attendance for 500 students. However, USF’s bowl aspirations were never realized and the $50,000 was never utilized.

According to Student Senate President Mike Berman, the $50,000 will go back to the unallocated reserves fund.

“We’re doing all of the budgeting now,” Berman said. “The funds will be rolling into next year’s budget. I went ahead and drafted up a memo to our business manager David Armstrong to request we do this again next year.”

Armstrong approved of SG using the reserves should the Bulls reach a bowl game next season, Berman said.

After receiving the news that USF would not be going to a bowl game, Berman’s first reaction was disappointment.

“I was naturally disappointed,” Berman said. “They played their hearts out this year. With a 9-2 record, we had the best record in Florida outside of Miami, and FSU was a real stinker. I’m also disappointed for the student body.”

Berman said he was surprised at the attention this opportunity received. After advertising on campus and in The Oracle, e-mails and phone calls began to flood Berman’s office.

“The reason we got this attention was the students wanted to go. Somewhere between 200-250 people contacted me alone,” Berman said.

When USF enters Conference USA next year, the Bulls will likely receive a bowl bid depending on their final record. With an unofficial record of 4-0 against C-USA teams this year, a bowl bid seems likely for the 2003 season. And if it happens, the Senate will be ready, Berman said.

“We’ll have a really good idea for next year,” Berman said. “It will be all planned out and more organized.”

Contact Thomas Carrigan at oraclethomas@yahoo.com