Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

Alcohol off-limits to Aramark employees

Beer isn’t back for everyone at USF, even if it’s after 6 p.m.

Aramark employees — anyone who works in a dining facility on campus besides the USF Bookstore — are not allowed to purchase alcohol at the Marshall Student Center’s sports bar, Beef ‘O’ Brady’s.

“We are currently not allowing employees of Aramark to purchase alcohol on campus,” said Tom Williamson, Aramark district manager.

Aramark employs 240 students across campus.

The policy is currently under revision, Williamson said, but for now alcohol is off-limits to employees.

An amendment to the policy could be made in the future to allow employees to purchase alcohol after their shifts are up for the day, said USF spokesman Michael Hoad.

Aramark’s policy is similar to the USF policy brought to action Tuesday, which caused Beef ‘O’ Brady’s to begin serving alcohol only after 6 p.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends.

“It’s from a long-standing University policy that says you can’t work here if you’ve been drinking,” said Hoad.

The University realizes that the 6 p.m. curfew will not prevent all students and employees from drinking before working or going to class, but, Hoad said, it would be impossible for the sports bar to determine who can drink and who cannot during the day.

“You can’t push the responsibility onto the bartender or server,” Hoad said. “They can’t tell if someone is getting ready for work or just leaving from it.”

Most employees declined to comment on the situation, but one manager expressed her support for the policy.

“I agree with the policy because it’s highly inappropriate to be drinking while at an Aramark establishment — you’re still a representative for the company,” said Makeda Leon, who just graduated from USF and is working as a manager at Burger King.

Aramark’s employee handbook, which was updated in July, does not mention the policy but instead refers employees to their managers and human resources directors for more information on the alcohol policy.

“It’s kind of an odd policy, but I don’t have a huge problem with it,” said Peter Shaw, a senior majoring in English education who works at Java City in the Business building.

For some, the policy is a bit more bothersome.

“It’s kind of crazy,” said Rossi Lopez, a freshman elementary education major who works at the Ben & Jerry’s in the Marshall Student Center. “I think it should only be when you’re on the clock. It’s your own life and they shouldn’t control you when you’re not working.”