Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

USF named ‘Innovation and Economic Prosperity University’

USF has a new designa­tion to add to its repertoire: “Innovation and Economic Prosperity University.”

This designation, awarded by the Association of Public & Land-grant Universities (APLU), joins USF with 47 other univer­sities in the country, including UCF — the only other univer­sity in Florida to receive the award. Only 18 universities were selected this year.

As an economic force, USF contributes $4.4 billion to the Tampa Bay Area on a $1.5 bil­lion budget.

Part of the application pro­cess involved running self-assessments and preparing the university for evaluation by a board of judges outside the university. The distinction aims to decide which univer­sities not only produce mon­etary gains, but which of those universities have a tangible impact in their community.

USF used a committee of 50 people to go through the Tampa Bay area and conduct research on the economic impact the university has made. The judg­es were members of other uni­versities and partners of APLU.

Among the other universi­ties given the designation this year were Auburn University, Clemson University and University of Louisville.