Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

OPINION: Why Florida summer is the best season, from a USF student

You don’t have to “beat the heat,” just enjoy it. ORACLE PHOTO/ALEXANDRA URBAN

Picture this. 

Slip N’ Slides lathered with dish soap, popsicles melting as soon as they see sunlight, the pop of flip flops, the smell of the next door neighbor grilling hamburgers, cicadas singing like their life depends on it.

Did summer come to mind?

As a senior in college, I’m aware that this will no longer be the lasting image that I think of when someone mentions the summertime. This is my last summer free from the chains of work or responsibility. 

Growing up, this season was always my favorite to anticipate. As a kid, it meant more time to spend outside and with friends and more importantly, no school. 

This has always been and will continue to be my favorite time of year. It has something in store for everyone no matter their interests.

Related: Need a place to hammock? Here are some campus options.

No amount of extreme heat waves can make me rethink my dedication to summer. This season promises good times, while dangling the rest of the dreadful year infront of our faces.

While I’m enjoying my last summer break as a college student, I recognize that the main appeal of it is the amount of free time it promises. I love having time off to do things I enjoy doing, rather than committing to the things I have to do. 

Instead of hustling through Canvas assignments, I can spend time reading by the pool. Rather than studying for exams, I can go thrifting with my brother or drive around Tampa with my friends and the windows down.

This is the season for rest, for experimenting with that new hobby that you never had time for, for trying out new hair colors because none of our peers will see it. 

The free time that accompanies summer allows us to evaluate who we are, who we want to become and how we will get there. 

Related: Dont wait to live your best life

Despite what the naysayers say, the heat of this time of year is what is so inviting about the season. It is the peak time for outdoor adventures.

As the UV-ray index reaches 10, all bodies of water are all the more enticing. The heat forces us to go to the pool, beach parties, water parks and even provokes water balloon battles.

The next best feeling after touching chilly pool water on a warm day is drying off in the sun after a swim. Summer reveals the simple but divine worldly pleasure that is swimming in the sunlight. 

The season’s festivities are my favorite of the year. From June to August, some of the best holidays and events take place. 

Labor Day and Fourth of July are prime excuses for family barbeques and swim parties. Music festivals are a great reason for friends to gather and judge attendee outfits and performances. Carnivals and food festivals make for great weekend outings.

Even though summer no longer means a break from the face-paced hustle of work and school, I still love to think back on all that the season has offered me in the past. 

Summer is the champion of the seasons – it excels in sun, fun and adventure. Even though our Florida summers are sizzling, I wouldn’t want it any other way.