Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

OPINION: Hot books that USF students should avoid this summer

These popular novels are loved by many, but hated by me. ORACLE PHOTO/ LIV BAKER

As an English Literature major, I’m no stranger to having to read books that lack appeal to me. But I’ve learned how to stifle my agony, and read on.

There are many books that are deemed must-reads by literary fanatics, ranging from young adult novels to English classics. Like many other readers, I tend to gravitate towards these popular novels that are raved about on social media.

The majority of stories that I have been influenced to read have stood the test of time, while others are a waste of brain power.

Related: I judged a book by it’s cover and you should too

Here are some of the novels that I’ve recently read that have caused me the most grief. An anti-reading list for this summer break, if you will.

“Pride and Prejudice,” Jane Austen

This was one of those books that I really wanted to enjoy.

Literature majors are always super ride-or-die for this novel. But I am not exaggerating when I say that this is the most boring book I have ever had the misfortune of reading. 

The novel has no plot, the only thing that advances the story forward are the romantic relationships of the protagonist, Lizzy Bennet. 

It reads like one long gossip column. I don’t care that Lizzy marries Darcy and that the two were compassionate enough to overcome their pride and prejudices. I really couldn’t care less, it’s not even a good love story.  

For a book that lacks substance, it’s still lengthy. It sure says a whole lot of nothing within its 448 pages.

A book that is similar but worth the read is “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Bronte. While both of these novels have strong female leads, the work of Bronte is way more eventful and has harder hitting quotes.

“Gone Girl,” Gillian Flynn

This story is a favorite of many, but if any book deserves to be ‘canceled’ and banned, it’s this one.

It does an amazing job at depicting the highs and lows of marriage, as well as blurring the lines between love and obsession. The whole narrative is based around Amy, and her need for revenge against her husband.

But Amy is not a hero who embraces her dark femininity, she’s actually just unhinged and manipulative. I think hyping her up as the “revenge seeking girlboss” is really dangerous and is an argument that overlooks her role as an equal abuser in her marriage.

Maybe I also just prefer to have a clear antagonist in my stories.

A book that offers the same mysterious plot is the “Pretty Little Liars” series, is just as captivating but without the triggering content.

“The Outsiders,” S.E Hinton

Almost everyone I have talked to who has read “The Outsiders” loved it. It is a great coming-of-age story but I didn’t find that this book or any of its characters resonated with me.

Very few key events take place in this book, and there are many instances of cornball phrases from the 50s. “Golly gee!” is said at least once per chapter.

There’s also too many characters with weird nicknames to remember, and half of them are not essential to the plot. 

A similar young adult novel that is set in the same time period is J.D Salinger’s “Catcher in the Rye.” Both books offer a cynical perspective of American society, but Salinger’s focus on one main character makes the read more convenient.

“Looking for Alaska,” John Green

As a victim of the 2010s John Green Tumblr craze, this book surprisingly fell flat for me. 

While the plot was fun and the dialogue gave me a good chuckle, its main character, Alaska, is cliché and just insufferable overall. 

Like I said, its plot is memorable. It rejects the happily-ever-after trope, and ends in tragedy. I just hate that one of John Green’s most beloved main characters is so reckless, and full of forced pretentiousness. 

My personal favorite work from John Green is “The Fault in our Stars,” which dominated internet culture when I was a pre-teen. 

Related: Overwhelmed with class? Try journaling

At the end of the day, I’m glad to have read all of these books, just to say I did.

I love being able to cross books off my to-read list, and being able to form my own opinions about books that have been loved by many for years and years.

Of course, favorite and least favorite books are subjective. 

That’s the great thing about art and literature, you can absorb what resonates and leave whatever doesn’t.