Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

USF men’s basketball coach extended through 2030

Amir Abdur-Rahim’s first season with the Bulls ended with USF’s first ever regular season conference title. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF men’s basketball coach Amir Abdur-Rahim’s contract was extended through 2030, Athletics Director Michael Kelly announced Wednesday. 

“In his first season, Amir’s leadership and vision delivered one of the most exciting and memorable seasons in Bulls basketball history,” Kelly said in a press release. “We are excited to continue to invest in the success of USF men’s basketball under Amir’s guidance.”

Related: Amir Abdur-Rahim looks to bring history of rebuilding to USF

The financial details of Abdur-Rahim’s contract are unknown at this time. He originally signed a six-year, $7.35 million dollar deal in March 2023.

Abdur-Rahim arrived at USF in March 2023 after four seasons with Kennesaw State. In his last season with the Owls, he led the school to a 26-9 record and their first NCAA division 1 tournament appearance.

Abdur-Rahim’s inaugural season with the Bulls was marked by many achievements. The AAC coach of the year led the team to several school records and accomplishments.

Under his leadership, the Bulls finished with a program record of 25-8 and captured the regular season AAC title against Charlotte on March 2. USF also secured a berth in the NIT tournament, advancing to the second round before losing to VCU on March 24.

USF also earned its first ever top 25 ranking, entering at No.25 in the Associated Press poll on Feb. 25 following a 79-68 win versus SMU .

Related: Historic USF men’s basketball team cracks AP poll

Abdur-Rahim’s contract extension appears to be a welcoming sign for USF, but it isn’t a guarantee of him staying long term. 

This offseason, Michigan inked former FAU head coach Dusty May to a five-year deal. Several sources posed Abdur-Rahim as a candidate for the position. 

May took the head coaching job at Michigan only a year after signing a 10-year extension with the Owls in 2023 after he led them to a Final Four appearance. 

The potential for a bigger Division I school to lure Abdur-Rahim away, just as Michigan did with May, is something Bulls fans may be worried about during the rest of his scheduled tenure.

Despite this, as the Bulls prepare for the 2024-2025 season, Abdur-Rahim will look to build upon his early success at USF.

Correction: An earlier version of this story spelled Amir Abdur-Rahim’s name as Amir-Abdur Rahim.