Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

Florida budget supports USF cybersecurity, PTSD and veteran initiatives

President Rhea Law says state funding for university projects will support USF’s goal to be in the top 25 of public universities. ORACLE GRAPHIC/JEISLIAN QUILES-SIERRA

USF was awarded over $130 million after Gov. Ron DeSantis approved the state fiscal year 2024-25 budget on Wednesday.

President Rhea Law said the funding will allow the university to “pursue bold initiatives” to bolster USF Association of American Universities (AAU) status in a Wednesday afternoon email.

The investments in USF are a recognition that we continue to provide great value to our state and we serve as an extremely valuable resource that impacts our communities in so many ways,” she wrote.

Related: Law’s goals for new academic year approved at BOT meeting – The Oracle 

Among the almost $1 billion worth of items vetoed, DeSantis nixed nearly $4 million for a joint project between USF’s College of Nursing and College of Behavioral and Community Sciences for a project to fight opioid addictions.

“We are providing historic support in education…all the while the budget is actually spending less than we did last year,” he said.

Items from the “Focus on Florida’s Future” budget highlighted by Law include:

Related: USF designated as first academic institution for statewide human trafficking data repository

An additional $35 million was granted to support “strategic projects for the institution,” which include a USF Health clinical trial involving research on post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injuries in veterans.

The state budget, which goes into effect July 1, also includes operational budget items for USF, including a $50 million recurring increase to the budget for the three campuses and USF Health. This will also support the development of cybersecurity research and the cyber workforce.

Related: USF 2024-25 A&S budget to increase student organization funding in Tampa and St. Pete – The Oracle

The $50 million increase is the lowest in the last three years, including last year’s largest increase of $63.3 million, according to a June 2023 Oracle article.

Related: USF sees largest recurring increase to operational budget in 2023-24 state budget – The Oracle 

USF received $5 million earlier this spring to operate the Florida Center for Behavioral Health Workforce through Senate Bill 330. The center was formed in response to a critical need for mental health professionals, according to an April press release.

The university is also expected to receive $12.7 million from the State University System’s Performance-based Excellence Recognition Program, but the final amount will be decided by the Board of Governors later this month.

DeSantis’ budget prioritizes maintaining Florida’s higher education system’s status as the best in the country, according to a press release

Related: USF makes 3% increase to base salary pool for staff and employees 

Law wrote that the university is “incredibly grateful” for the “impactful budget.”

Lily Belcher, News Editor

Lily Belcher is the news editor for The Oracle. She's a mass communications and professional and technical communications double major. She started at The Oracle in summer 2023 as a correspondent and worked her way up to news editor. She has been freelancing for local newspapers for four years and hopes to write for a major newspaper following her graduation. Reach her at belcher20@usf.edu

Profile