Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

One killed, three injured in off-campus shooting

The USF community was informed about the shooting through several alerts early Sunday morning. ORACLE PHOTO/LILY BELCHER

One person was killed and three were injured in a shooting 0.2 miles off campus early Sunday morning, according to the Tampa Police Department.

At 4:40 a.m., Tampa Police received a call of the shooting and found two cars were shot at 11606 McKinley Drive in a parking lot near a hotel, according to the press release.

The USF community received an alert from USF Safe at 5:15 a.m. notifying them of the shooting and advising them to avoid the area. After an additional alert, a final alert at 5:54 a.m. said there was no threat to campus and no future communication is expected. 

Move-in for summer B students was on Friday and Saturday. Move-in weekend typically sees an increased number of families by campus. 

The shooting was next door to a La Quinta Inn and Suites, which is recommended by  USF Student Support Services for those visiting campus.

Tampa Police believe the man who was killed in the shooting is Charles Jones, a Florida rapper, better known as Julio Foolio. Jones was staying in Tampa celebrating his birthday, according to his attorney Lewis Fusco. Fusco confirmed the rappers death, according to a News4Jax article.

The other three victims are being treated at the hospital, Jonee Lewis, Tampa Police public information officer, said in a press conference.

The three injured are in stable condition, according to the press release.

Tampa Police are still investigating the shooting.

This story has been updated.

Lily Belcher, News Editor

Lily Belcher is the news editor for The Oracle. She's a mass communications and professional and technical communications double major. She started at The Oracle in summer 2023 as a correspondent and worked her way up to news editor. She has been freelancing for local newspapers for four years and hopes to write for a major newspaper following her graduation. Reach her at belcher20@usf.edu

Profile