Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

OPINION: USF students, we need to balance work and leisure

Relaxing during the summer is much more fulfilling when you’ve worked hard all year. ORACLE PHOTO/JUSTIN SEECHARAN

There is something so magical about a juicy slice of watermelon, neighborhood backyard barbecues and the nostalgia of playing in the sprinkler when we were kids.

These things wouldn’t be special if we had them year-round. 

Thankfully, we have summer break to enjoy a rejuvenating respite from our busy schedules during both semesters and bask in the pleasure of not having to rush around all the time.

But here’s the thing. 

You must work hard during the year to properly enjoy the break that summer provides.

You cannot be on a full-time vacation because then you won’t appreciate it. Hard work is needed to treasure the relaxation that much more.

“Don’t play until you finish all your work,” ring the classic words of our parents that we all hear echoing in the back of our heads before embarking on a fun excursion.

How can you truly enjoy summer if you have nothing to contrast that wholesome and carefree three-month period?

As a USF student, you’re probably wondering how you can achieve this comfortable work-vacation balance.

It’s done by powering through during the school year so you can enjoy your weekends and summer to the fullest. 

Related: The grind never stops. It should.

Throughout the semester, I organize tasks I have to do in Google Calendar and write down assignments in my planner. I strive to get everything done towards the beginning of the week to make weekends all about rest, time with friends and family, chores and going to church.

But don’t worry, you can still leave plenty of time to get revived in the summer after recovering from your demanding USF workload. 

To help balance the work and play, here are some practical and inexpensive ways to enjoy your free time, whether that be on the weekend or during the summer.

Find fun at local parks.

The joys of taking a break can be found right in our USF backyard. USF Riverfront Park and Lettuce Lake Park are just northeast of campus on Fletcher Avenue. Their summer hours vary so make sure to check out their websites before visiting. 

From kayaking and canoeing to stand up paddleboarding, there is no shortage of things to do at these recreational destinations. They even offer affordable rates with your USF ID card between $2 to $5.

There are also several other parks and outdoor spaces in the Tampa area that have boardwalks, nature trails, pickleball courts and waterfront views. Some of my favorites include Davis Island and the Tampa Riverwalk downtown.

Places like these allow us to feel relaxed and at peace when we see God’s creation that’s bigger than ourselves.

Car rides are a must.

Staying local is relaxing and low stress in itself. You don’t have to go far from home to have that summer vacation feeling.

But if you happen to be suffering from the absolute need to get out, try taking a coastal or country car ride along the beaches and barns of Pinellas or Hillsborough counties.

Personally, I need car rides during the summer in order to refresh and prevent burnout.

There is nothing more rewarding than driving around with the windows down (and maybe since it’s Florida, the air conditioning blasting) after a whole school year of working hard. 

Related: Need a place to hammock? Here are some campus options.

As college students, we are holding on tightly – almost desperately – to each summer as it dwindles away, because as soon as most of us enter the workforce, those long and lazy days with popsicles dripping down our arms will be nothing but a memory. 

Yes, I encourage you to enjoy each summer as it passes by. But also don’t forget to work hard all year before playing just as hard.