Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

Former USF football player killed in car crash

Teigan Martin, 20, died Monday in Minnesota. He was a member of the USF football team during the 2023 season. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO / ORACLE GRAPHIC / CAMILLE GRALL

Former USF tight end Teigan Martin was killed in a single-car crash in Minnesota on Monday morning, according to the Carver County Sheriff’s office. 

First responders responded to a report of a crash on County Road 122 near Hollywood Township, MN, just after 5 a.m., according to a sheriff’s press release. Deputies discovered a vehicle that crashed into a ditch. 

The sheriff’s office identified Martin as the only person in the vehicle. He died at the scene, according to the report. 

Investigators said Martin was traveling eastbound when his BMW M5 crossed the center line and entered a ditch before rolling. Speed may of been a factor in the crash, according to the press release. 

Martin was wearing a seatbelt, according to the press release. It is unknown if alcohol was a factor in the crash. 

The crash is still under investigation as of June 24, according to the press release. 

Martin joined USF in 2023 after playing one season at Liberty. He didn’t see game action during the 2023 season.  

Although he was still attending USF, he was no longer a part of the football team, according to a USF athletics spokesperson. 

Martin celebrated his 20th birthday on May 17, according to his obituary. He was a criminology major, according to the student directory. 

USF Football honored Martin on its X account Tuesday evening. 

Bulls football coach Alex Golesh said he was “heartbroken” by Martin’s death.

“His loss is felt profoundly by his teammates, our coaches and staff, and all those who knew and loved him,” Golesh said. “We extend our deepest sympathies to Teigan’s family and friends, and keep them in our thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time.”

Martin’s obituary describes him as a “fun and easy-going person,” who enjoyed “fishing and golfing.” 

Martin lived in Minnesota since 2012, according to his obituary. He was born in Goodyear, AZ. 

He attended Mayer Lutheran High School in Mayer, MN, where his mother Kathy worked as a school administrator. Mayer is approximately 37 miles west of downtown Minneapolis. 

Martin led the Crusaders to a state championship during his senior year in 2021, starting at both tight end and defensive tackle. He graduated from Mayer Lutheran in 2022. 

A dual sport athlete, Martin also played basketball in high school, receiving a Division I offer from Western Illinois. 

Martin was a three-star football recruit by 247Sports, also gaining offers from Iowa State and North Dakota State. 

His former high school announced a vigil to honor Martin on Thursday. 

The Teigan Martin Scholarship fund has also been established at Mayer Lutheran High School, according to his obituary. 

Funeral services for Martin will be held Saturday morning, according to his obituary. Bulls tight ends Weston Wolff and Gunnar Greenwald will serve as casket bearers. 

USF Athletic Director Micheal Kelly said he was “deeply saddened” by Martin’s death.

“He was a much-loved and cared for teammate, friend and member of our USF family whose loss is felt tremendously,” Kelly said. “The University of South Florida community extends its deepest condolences to Teigan’s family, friends and all who knew and loved him.”

This story has been updated.

Noah Vinsky, Sports Editor

Noah Vinsky is the sports editor for The Oracle. He’s a mass communications and psychology dual-major and started writing for The Oracle in the fall of 2022. His focus is on football, men’s basketball and the on-campus stadium development. Reach him at noahjosephvinsky@usf.edu

Profile