USF football wins its first season opener since 2020

USF graduate running back Kelley Joiner Jr. (8) takes the handoff against Bethune-Cookman Saturday night.
ORACLE PHOTO / Alejandra Martinez

USF set the tone for the rest of the season against Bethune-Cookman with a 48-3 win Saturday at Raymond James Stadium. 

It was the first season opener victory since 2020 against The Citadel. 

“I just told our team, it’s great to get a win,” said Bulls head coach Alex Golesh. “You’re supposed to win that game, and you’re supposed to win it by a lot.”

Related: How NIL came to USF football, season preview and more – Football Preview 2024 – The Oracle

The Bulls offense took control of the game by scoring two touchdowns in the first quarter. Junior quarterback Byrum Brown finished the game with 152 yards passing, adding 74 yards rushing and a touchdown. 

Golesh said that he wanted Brown to get his feet on the ground and get comfortable.  

“I thought his timing and ball placement was really good, you can tell we kept it relatively simple tonight,” Golesh said. 

Related: Coordinator hour: Bulls look to build off Byrum Brown’s momentum in upcoming Navy match

Towards the middle of the first quarter, Brown ran 42 yards before getting tripped up at the 10-yard line. He tip-toed along the sideline into the endzone to get their first touchdown of the season for the Bulls.  

Graduate running back Kelley Joiner Jr. led the Bulls’ rushing attack during the game. Joiner had a career-high two touchdowns and 78 rushing yards.

“From spring to fall camp, Kelley was consistent every single day,” Golesh said. “And you saw that today.”

Joiner has gone through a series of injuries, position changes and even missed the first six games of 2022. Now, he’s experiencing a breakthrough. 

“When you work hard and you wait your time and pray about it, things will fall in place,” Joiner said.  

Bethune-Cookman struggled to move the chains against USF and only had 40 yards in the first half. 

The Bulls kept the rush game going as they scored two more touchdowns – one by senior running back Ta’Ron Keith and another by graduate running back Nay’Quan Wright. 

Junior kicker John Cannon drilled a career-high 53-yard field goal to put the Bulls up 31-3 heading into the half.  

Abdur-Rahmaan Yaseen led USF in receiving yards with five receptions and 73-yards as a first-time Bull. He transferred from Purdue this offseason.

As Brown familiarizes himself with his new target, Brown said he appreciates what Yaseen brings to the locker room. 

“He comes into the facility every single day with a veteran mindset,” Brown said. “He’s just all about business all the time.” 

Towards the end of the third quarter, junior quarterback Bryce Archie replaced Brown. Archie threw his first career touchdown after completing a 15-yard pass to graduate receiver Michael Brown-Stephens. 

There were also 18 true freshmen and nine first-time starters making their debut for the Bulls — including Yaseen and Nico Gramatica, the No. 1 rated kicker in the 2024 class. 

Related: USF using momentum to build on its best recruiting class in a decade

“For all these freshmen, it is going to start getting real for them,” Golesh said 

USF will take on the No. 5 Alabama on Sept. 7 at 7 p.m. at Bryant-Denny Stadium. It will be broadcast on ESPN. Follow @USF_huddle for football news and live gameday updates.