MyUSF, OASIS websites to get a new look this fall

MyUSF will receive an update, and a new Student Self-Service Portal platform will replace OASIS. ORACLE SCREENSHOT/JEISLIAN QUILES-SIERRA

USF students, faculty and staff can expect changes later this month, with MyUSF receiving its first post-pandemic update and a new Student Self-Service portal replacing OASIS.

The MyUSF refresh will let students change the website’s layout based on their needs and will work better on cell phones. The new Student Self-Service portal will have easier navigation and functionality than OASIS. 

Here’s what you need to know about the upcoming changes:

MyUSF Update

Christopher Akin, a USF spokesperson, said University Communications and Marketing and USF IT are in charge of the MyUSF refresh. 

Even though there isn’t an exact date for the update, Akin said it will most likely happen when Student Self-Service launches on Sep. 28-29. 

This is the first MyUSF update since the COVID-19 pandemic, and one of the main reasons for its redesign was to provide better communication and organization, Akin said.

Users will be able to customize their experience by adding shortcuts they regularly use, such as their class schedule, campus map and dining hours, in a “quick links” menu.

Besides the fresh new look, Akin said there will be an enhancement in reaching different target audiences.

“You’ll start to see messages for your particular college, major or campus, versus just a mass notification to all students,” Akin said.

The refresh will allow the MyUSF mobile app to mirror the website. This means whether users open MyUSF on the mobile app or the desktop version, it will look the same, Akin said.

The current MyUSF has a link to preview the new interface with a ‘Tell us what you think’ icon that takes users to a feedback survey. Akin said the team reads the results every morning.

Akin said the only negatives he read in the survey’s feedback were that the new interface looked different from what people were used to.

Anna Delman, a senior world languages major, said she looked at the preview but wasn’t impressed because she liked how the old website had everything separate.

“I honestly think it was fine the way it was, and I don’t think they needed to change it,” Delman said. “Looking at the preview, it looks older than the current one — like an early 2000 kind of website.”

Because MyUSF is a “living and breathing” website, Akin said it is important to keep receiving feedback after its update.

“We won’t wait so long between refreshes anymore,” Akin said. “Instead of a massive refresh every couple of years, we’ll take that feedback and make small improvements along the way.”

OASIS Replacement

Students will say goodbye to OASIS and welcome the new Student Self-Service portal in late September.

OASIS is a system that allows students to access financial aid, textbook reservations, tuition data and final grades, according to the College of Arts and Sciences website.

It is also where students register for classes, with spring 2025 registrations starting on Nov. 4, according to USF’s calendar.

Renee Rotondo, the director of Student Success, said the new Student Self-Service portal will be managed by the Office of the Registrar, Office of Financial Aid and Student Accounting Services.

Rotondo said Student Self-Service will serve the same functions as OASIS but will increase the services students can do online without having to visit offices and fill out paperwork.

A modern design will put all information on pages instead of drop-down menus, making it easier to navigate, Rotondo said.

Beatriz Brito, a freshman international studies major, said the new portal will be a positive change because she finds OASIS confusing since there are many different menus inside the platform.

The new portal will continue to be compatible with mobile devices to make it easier for students to conduct their business on their cell phones instead of computers, Rotondo said.

Rotondo said this is a long-awaited upgrade that brings a better user experience and more functionality to students.

“Our long-term vision for Student Self-Service is to ensure that we are continuously rolling out modern functionality to ensure that students and their families can quickly navigate enrollment requirements,” Rotondo said.