OPINION: USF students, here’s why we should celebrate away games

Away games don’t have to be boring, students can show school spirit from home. ORACLE GRAPHIC/ JEISLIAN QUILES-SIERRA

After going to the Alabama USF game last year and seeing how many crimson shirts cursed the stadium, I was envious of Alabama fans’ ability to seemingly drop everything and follow their beloved team to another state. 

It seemed a shame that we couldn’t follow our team along their season journey for their own away games. 

Well guess what? We can and we should. 

Even if we cannot attend these matches in person, we can still support our football players by watching from afar as a community

Our team has also significantly improved from previous seasons so they deserve some cheering on. This year, USF is ranked No. 4 in the preseason American Athletic Conference poll, compared to taking the No. 13 spot last year. 

The Bulls also claimed their first season-opener win since 2020 just last week. With six away games to look forward to, there are plenty of opportunities to encourage our troops. The first away game of the year is against Alabama at 7 p.m. Saturday. 

By watching football games in a group or solo in your apartment, you can build morale and school spirit. 

Related: Don’t wait to live your best life

A large, public watch party filled with perfectly cooked hamburgers, soda that makes you go “Ah” and a lot of laughter – and maybe yelling at the TV screen – can make more people invested in our team. 

At the very least, it’s a great excuse to hang out with friends and bond over a shared goal – to win, of course. 

And if it’s a large event, it can be a good way to meet new people and get to know students that you otherwise wouldn’t meet. 

Hooters also hosts some watch parties at their location in North Tampa close to USF. On their website, they have announced watch parties for the Bulls’ games against Alabama this Saturday, Tulane on Sept. 28 and FAU on Nov. 1.

“Sports can become a source of community engagement for students and a chance to more deeply engage in what it means to be a Bull,” said John Barreto, a senior majoring in marketing. 

So what can students do? 

Hosting watch parties is always an option. Whether it be in an apartment, dorm or house, students can invite their friends and watch the football games on ESPN+ or Fubo, a video streaming service available in the U.S. 

Because we are located in Florida, we have a unique opportunity that not many other locales have—endless summer. This means the possibilities for pool parties are abundant. 

Related: USF football wins its first season opener since 2020

But USF should also consider adding some on-campus celebrations to increase accessibility for those without a car. 

Last year, the USF Tampa Campus Activities Board even hosted a screening of Lemonade Mouth in the Marshall Student Center lawn by using a projector aimed at the wall of the Bookstore – why not do the same for football?

Some people say it’s not as fun to watch the game on TV, but this doesn’t have to be the case.

Related: USF selects date for stadium groundbreaking ceremony

“One can pose a similar dilemma to the team themself: Do they choose to not practice once the sessions get tough or do they show up, day in and day out, and get after it?” said Angel Wheeler Ortega, a freshman electrical engineering major.

Plus, there are still so many ways to have fun while watching, even if it’s purely atmospheric. 

With good company, new encounters and a buttload of hotdogs, celebrating away games is definitely worth your time. 

USF football will face Alabama on the road on 7 p.m. Saturday. The game will be broadcast on ESPN. Follow @USF_huddle for football news and live gameday updates.