USF football coordinators unveil plan to upset Alabama

The Bulls face No. 4 Alabama on the road this Saturday at 7 p.m. ORACLE PHOTO/ ALEJANDRA MARTÍNEZ

The Bulls will pack their bags this week and head to Bryant-Denny to take on No. 4 Alabama this Saturday, seeking revenge on last year’s 17-3 loss.

They look to take down a top-five team for the first time since 2007, when they won against No.5 WVU, 21-13.

Though the Crimson Tide (1-0) is a 31.5 point favorite, the Bulls’ (1-0) coaching staff is not afraid to go into Bryant-Denny and emerge victorious.

“At our best we can play with anybody in the country,” said head coach Alex Golesh.

Related: USF football takeaways: Bulls rise to expectations in blowout win

As USF gears up for this high-stakes game, their coordinators shared how they plan to tackle powerhouse Alabama.

Offense

In their last three games, USF’s explosive offense has racked up an impressive 141 points.

Offensive coordinator Joel Gordon said the Bulls have to be able to operate and communicate, especially going into an environment where they know it will be loud.

He made a point of saying they will need to be able to perform the basic tasks, like reading signals and lining up correctly.

“Mastering these simple elements before the ball is even snapped will be crucial for us to succeed,” Gordon said.

The Bulls’ offense is expected by coaches to execute a aggressive approach, continuing to push for high production on the field, as seen in their win over Bethune-Cookman.

Gordon emphasized the importance of sticking to the fundamentals and avoiding overcomplicating their approach.

“You want to be smart,” he said. “You can’t be silly with the ball.”

The rushing game carried USF’s total yardage against BCU, with a total of 231 yards through 46 carries.

USF came extremely close to pulling off an upset against Alabama last year, pushing the Crimson Tide to their limits. This time around, the Bulls are set on making the most of their opportunities, by finding the right balance of the run and pass game on the field.

“We will have our work cut out for us,” Gordon said. “We had opportunities on top of opportunities last year and we didn’t cash in.”

Related: USF football wins its first season opener since 2020

Defense

Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando talked about how Alabama has performed at an elite level for many years.

“They have some really great guys that play with great technique,” he said. “But so do we.”

USF finds itself without linebacker Jhalyn Shuler after he suffered a knee injury against BCU. But true freshmen stepped up to the ocassion last week – Rodney Hill co-led the team in tackles at seven, and Jahari Grant posted six with one tackle-for-loss.

USF will look to extend its rush defense from last week, as they held BCU to 48 yards.

The Bulls will focus on containing both the run and the pass game.

Alabama routed Western Kentucky in a 63-0 home win last Saturday. It ranks 14th in the nation in yards per game, and fifth in the nation in rushing

Orlando said they are determined to prevent Alabama from going vertical with deep passes. This starts with Alabama quarterback Jalen Milroe, who is a top candidate for the 2024 Heisman trophy.

“Containing Milroe is a priority,” he said. “Everything about him is elite.”

As Milroe is both a mobile quarterback and one that can throw vertically up and down the field, USF will have to be prepared in all aspects.

“Last year we had some negative yardage plays that set up third and long,” said Orlando. “If we have the ability to do that this week, it’s going to be tough especially with [Milroe] back there.”

Despite acknowledging the challenges Milroe presents, Orlando remains confident in his defense’s ability to step up.

“The one thing I’m not… is scared,” he said.

USF football will face Alabama on the road on 7 p.m. Saturday. The game will be broadcast on ESPN. Follow @USF_huddle for football news and live gameday updates.