USF won’t be doing a renovation to WELL facilities anytime soon. Here’s why.

Construction on the redevelopment of USF’s college of nursing is ongoing, with completion projected to be in 2026. The WELL won’t be part of these plans. ORACLE PHOTO/WILL RAINSBERGER

USF won’t be expanding The WELL as it will shift focus to the renovation of the College of Nursing building to accommodate recent growth in its health programs. 

The expansion of the college, which includes a full demolition of its original 1973 building, moved existing plans to update The WELL to the back burner.

USF Health Spokesperson Sarah Worth said the university wants to make sure “it’s the right project for students’ true needs” and the priority is to create space for the community.

By 2028, the college will have a graduating class of 750 undergraduate nurses each year, a roughly 200% increase than years past, according to Worth.

Students in 2028 may need something different than what was defined three to four years ago,” Worth said. 

Demolition of the old College of Nursing building began in March and construction is expected to be complete by 2026.

The growth of the nursing program has been a larger trend in recent years. This May, the college unveiled a clinic at Port Tampa Bay to provide care to seafarers and act as a training site for nurses.

The college is also adding a nursing simulation lab to the new building, which received a $4.4 million donation from Tampa General Hospital last September. 

The WELL, which is located in the USF Health section of campus, is a “gathering place” for students and staff of the Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Public Health, according to its website.

Worth did not say what expansions were in the works before the project was revisited.

Related: Resolutions or reductions? Decreased first-week attendance at USF REC and FIT 

The WELL opened its doors in 2014. It is one of three student gyms on campus, alongside the Recreation and Wellness Center, on the southeast corner of campus, and The Fit, located in The Village.

Although all three gyms are available to any student, The WELL is meant for those within the USF Health colleges, according to its website.

But it is more than just a gym. 

The 45,000-square-foot facility is a casual landing spot for the USF Health community. Visitors can access student support services, such as the Feed-A-Bull food pantry, study spaces and  dining options, including Bay Coffee and Tea Company.

Related: USF’s Feed-A-Bull adds new location at College of Medicine building

After swiping in, students can not only use the main gym but also a group fitness room, lockers and showers. The gym also features power racks, strength units, utility benches, weight training machines, dumbbells and a variety of cardio machines. 

Group fitness classes include everything from cardio dance to pilates available for registration through USF’s Recreation and Wellness site. 

Changes in student use of The WELL’s facilities as USF Health develops its nursing program will play a role in the review of the expansion, Worth said.

Related: Board approves new nursing program to increase faculty numbers

Despite USF’s decision to look over The WELL’s redevelopment, this does not mean that the project has been scrapped.

“The Well expansion isn’t being halted,” Worth said. “Plans are being reevaluated.”