OPINION: Make Publix subs USF’s official sandwich

If you know Florida, you know “Pub subs.” ORACLE PHOTO/ JESLIAN QUILES-SIERRA

Whenever my out-of-state friends visit Florida, one of the first things I do is take them to Publix. 

Now you might be thinking, “Really, the grocery store?”

But our grocery store has a gold mine in it – Publix subs. These deli sandwiches, also known as “Pub subs,” have been lauded as great meals by myself and just about every person I’ve met who has had one. 

The Pub sub deserves to be the official sandwich for USF students because not only are they top tier, but they’re also affordable and convenient to find on campus.

Yeah, we could opt for a ham and cheese from Subway, or a PB&J, but does that really reflect the spirit of USF? 

The only sandwich that is worthy of our praise is the Pub sub. 

Related: USF, do we really need two Chic-Fil-A’s?

USF already has a relationship with Publix, so why not extend it? 

The store has arranged for its logo to appear on the field at Raymond James Stadium for this fall season’s USF football games. Doesn’t it make sense for us to move on to the next step in our relationship and grace Pub subs with the title of USF’s “official sandwich”? 

Publix’s branding on the field at Raymond James Stadium. ORACLE PHOTO/ CAMILLE GRALL

Pub subs are also easily accessible to students. With a Publix right on campus, students can grab a sandwich from the deli any time they want. 

It’s also perfect for a college budget. Subs usually vary from about $6 to $10. 

Related: USF students, your favorite meal could be off campus

Pub subs also come in many different styles, ready to fit the cravings of any student on campus. 

You can get a buffalo chicken tender sub, a Philly cheese sub, chicken tender sub, an ultimate sub and many other versions. You can even customize your own sandwich. 

If you’re looking for a healthier option, have no fear. Publix has all different types of vegetables, like peppers, lettuce, onion and olives, to make for a good balance of ingredients. They also have a healthy whole wheat bread option. 

My go-to Pub sub is a white bread sub with turkey, provolone, spinach, all of the non-spicy veggies, mayo, oil and vinegar and, of course, salt and pepper. 

What’s yours?