OPINION: A USF student guide to getting over your European summer

I visited the Christ Church College at the University of Oxford this summer. Here’s a step-by-step guide for readjusting to life at USF after a European summer. ORACLE PHOTO/ANNA GUSTAFSON

Are you also experiencing symptoms of post-European summer blues? 

After spending a summer overseas, you’ll likely feel uninspired and bored by your surroundings on campus right now.

I get it.

Before, I could find a bookshop, a garden, a church or any number of places, each offering its own European charm. 

And now, here I am, sitting in a loft in the Honors College, writing this article, seeking refuge from the Florida heat and humidity, feeling entirely unsatisfied with my environment. 

The USF student voice since 1966. Learn how you can support The Oracle’s future.

We have been thrust into the unforgiving clutches of reality at USF—horrific green and yellow decor and fluorescent-lit classrooms that scream ‘learning environment.’ 

Fear not. Here are some tips to help you seamlessly transition from your European summer back to the bland routine of college. 

Come to terms with the coffee disparities

Sipping an espresso overlooking the Seine is now a distant memory, replaced by the diluted cappuccino from Starbucks, which tastes like melted cardboard and disappointment.

But, now, you have the perfect opportunity to remind everyone around you just how much better the coffee overseas was. Maybe you even take up coffee roasting as a hobby.

Transition your wardrobe–make it look effortless

Find refuge in a new world of fashion. Just because you no longer live in Europe does not mean you cannot dress like it.

Linen button-downs, neutral colors, and loafers are now your best friend. 

“Wow you look so sleek!” they will all say. 

Take advantage of your newly acquired “fluency”

You studied abroad all summer, so basically you’re fluent in a foreign language now. At least that’s what you tell yourself. 

Whenever you can, sprinkle in some of your new vocabulary. 

Sure, some of your friends may roll their eyes, but at least you get to practice whichever language you’ve already forgotten most of since returning home.

Embrace the burden of the post-European blues 

All kidding aside, there is no magical way to get rid of this feeling. 

But look on the bright side. 

Focus on the opportunity you have to educate yourself at university. Look forward to the plans you make with friends or the next time you return to your favorite streets in Europe. 

Remember your summer fondly. 

You are traipsing through Europe in spirit.

Christ Church College at the University of Oxford. ORACLE PHOTO/ ANNA GUSTAFSON
Radcliffe Camera at the University of Oxford. ORACLE PHOTO/ ANNA GUSTAFSON
Ciutadella Park in Barcelona. ORACLE PHOTO/ANNA GUSTAFSON