USF students celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month: ‘Makes it feel like home’

Student-led clubs promote cultural events to engage with students for the immersion and enjoyment of Hispanic culture. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GUADALUPE CORTES

Ariana Gonzalez Rivera, a senior marketing major, said Hispanic Heritage Month gives her an opportunity to celebrate her roots.

She said this is particularly important when she’s so far away from her family’s home country, Nicaragua.

“My family is from Nicaragua and even though we are far from them, our culture is still present and we are still very Hispanic,” Rivera said.

Hispanic Heritage Month, which lasts from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, is a national celebration of Hispanic countries and cultures.

Rivera said student organizations play a major role in celebrating this at USF.

“It feels like a lot of fun walking around campus seeing our culture being represented and appreciated,” Rivera said. “I see why it’s important since it recognizes the Hispanic student community and its differences as well.”

Over 20% of USF’s student body is made up of Hispanic students, according to the USF 2023-24 factbook. With 10,223 scholars, the Hispanic community is the second largest at USF, trailing only behind white students.

The Mexican American Student Association (MASA) is celebrating its customs with “Touch of Mexico” at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 30. This event will include Mexican food and candles, along with a performance from MASA’s dance team “Sabor.”

MASA members plan to commemorate Touch of Mexico on Oct. 3 this year. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GUADALUPE CORTES

MASA President Guadalupe Cortes, a senior information science major, said these events are for everyone to celebrate. 

“No matter your background you are more than welcome to join us whether it’s to inform yourself, dance, play a sport, enjoy a meal or getting to know people,” Cortes said. ”Mexican culture is for everyone.”

Cortes said a major part of the celebration is making others feel welcome.

“We want our club members or any USF student to feel a home away from home or just meet new people,” Cortes said.

Another student organization, the Central American Student Alliance (CENSA), is celebrating through its Arts and Crafts Night at 5 p.m. on Oct. 3.

CENSA President Emanuel Ibarra, a sophomore psychology major, said this event allows students at USF to immerse themselves in Hispanic tradition by practicing traditional Central American craftsmanship.

“We want all USF students to appreciate the richness of Hispanic cultures and to understand that diversity should be celebrated,” Ibarra said. “By engaging both Hispanic and non-Hispanic students, we foster a sense of belonging and mutual respect among all communities.”

Alexis Gamache, a senior health science major, descends from Spanish, African and Taino cultures. 

She said learning about her Puerto Rican ancestry helped her define who she is and plans to celebrate her heritage this month.

“It’s just really cool to see how even though I am Puerto Rican, I have a bunch of other cultures mixed together based on how my ancestors blended throughout history,” Gamache said. 

Katya La Costa, a freshman nursing major, believes celebrating Hispanic Heritage helps people understand and recognize their roots.

“I’m Puerto Rican and Mexican and so USF being able to celebrate my culture definitely makes me feel closer to the campus and makes it feel like home,” La Costa said. 

She said celebrating each other’s cultures makes her feel closer to her peers.

Gamache said she believes the celebration of such events can also help everyone appreciate each other instead of growing apart due to differences.

“Hispanic Heritage Month really helps appreciate what you have in the States but also feel for the people that don’t have what you have,” Gamache said. “I think a lot of people are proud of where we are at, it’s just a moment to be proud of where we came from.”