Preview: USF football opens conference play against Tulane

Junior quarterback Byrum Brown leads USF in passing and rushing yards with 702 and 281 respectively. ORACLE PHOTO/ LILY FOX

USF heads to New Orleans for a pivotal American Athletic Conference matchup against Tulane this Saturday where it looks to secure a much-needed victory.

The Bulls (2-2) are underdogs, and are given a 28% chance to win, according to ESPN.

They seek to snap a three-game losing streak against the Green Wave (2-2) and look to earn their first victory at Yulman Stadium since 2017.

The game is supposed to go on as planned despite Hurricane Helene, according to a USF Athletics spokesperson.

After a tough start to the season, head coach Alex Golesh remains optimistic.

“We feel like we played two, what could be top-five teams in the country,” he said. “And you feel like you’ve been battle tested.”

A battle for AAC bragging rights

The Bulls are preparing for their first matchup at Tulane since suffering a 45-14 defeat at the end of the 2021 season.

USF is coming off a rough loss against No. 7 Miami on Sept. 21 –  a game that highlighted strengths and areas for improvement.

Meanwhile, Tulane is coming off a solid 41-33 win against Louisiana Sept. 21. It has outscored unranked teams 93-33 this season.

The Bulls and the Green Wave are neck and neck in the AAC rankings, sitting at fifth and sixth respectively.

“We’ve made progress this season, but Tulane will be a real test for us,” Golesh said at Tuesday’s press conference. “They’re a disciplined team that controls the line of scrimmage, and that’s where we’ll need to step up.”

The Green Wave’s front line has put pressure on opposing quarterbacks this season, with a 4.40 sack percentage.

They have also been a force on third-down, ranking at 22nd in the nation with just 50% allowed. USF has struggled on third-down this season, ranking at 70th in the nation and only completing 25 out of 63 attempts.

“They know how to play well on third down,” Golesh said. “And it’s going to be crucial for us to convert our opportunities and get off the field defensively.”

Learning from recent struggles

In USF’s last game, it struggled to maintain an offensive consistency, particularly in the second half  where negative plays and sacks stalled drives.

The Bulls managed only 10 offensive drives –– the fewest since Golesh took over as head coach – and were unable to find the endzone after halftime.

“Our challenge is to wipe it clean, conference play, time to go,” Golesh said. “I think [our] guys will be excited, they’ll be ready.”

USF’s run game faced challenges last week, averaging 1.9 yards per rush on 32 rush attempts. On the other side of the ball, Tulane’s defense is allowing 5.5 yards per rush, meaning both teams will need to establish the run game early.

The Green Wave has outrushed opponents in 22 of their last 30 games, boasting a 20-2 record in such matchups.

“Our focus is on doing the little things right and being more consistent,” senior running back Kelley Joiner said during Tuesday’s press conference.” We’ve got to establish the run early and trust our game plan.”

USF’s 61 rushing yards last week highlight the need for improvement against a Tulane defense that has allowed significant yardage on the ground. 

On defense, the Bulls have been solid at times but will face a tough challenge in Tulane’s dynamic offense.

Senior defensive tackle Decarius Hawthorne emphasized the need for discipline.

“We need to be on point, especially up front,” he said. “Their o-line is physical, and their run game can hurt you if you’re not in position.”

Key players to watch

Tulane’s running back, Mahki Hughes, has been a force on the ground rushing for over 100 yards in nine of his last 14 games.

USF’s defense will need to be prepared for Hughes’ explosiveness if they hope to limit Tulane’s ground attack.

Bulls senior wide receiver Sean Atkins is just eight catches away from surpassing the 10-year-old career record of 153 receptions at USF.

Atkins is junior quarterback Byrum Brown’s favorite target as he leads the team with 24 receptions for 289 yards. 

His consistent performance has helped keep the struggling Bulls’ passing game alive through the season. With the Tulane matchup looming, he will likely be looked to as a primary option.

The Green Wave has seen their freshman quarterback Darian Mensah jump into the season with 796 passing yards and 6 touchdowns.

Golesh praised his ability to make plays on both the air and ground, which USF has seen in Alabama quarterback Jalen Milroe and Miami quarterback Cam Ward.

“They’ve got a really good young quarterback,” he said. “So there’s another big challenge for us defensively.

Coverage for the game will start at 12 p.m. est on ESPNU and Bulls Unlimited.