USF drops first conference match to No. 17 Memphis

Junior midfielder Getiana Fetaj attempts a long ball on Sunday’s game against No. 17 Memphis at Corbett Stadium. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

In a tough game under the blazing Florida sun, USF lost its first American Athletic Conference match 1-0 to Memphis on Sunday.

Both teams had their chances to score but couldn’t quite make them count, keeping fans on edge until the very end.

Starting strong and having more possession of the ball, No. 17 Memphis (7-1-1, 2-0-1 AAC) didn’t seem to feel the hot weather, unlike USF (6-2-3, 1-1-2 AAC), who looked like they were the away team not used to the Florida heat.

In the first half, the Bulls couldn’t find each other on the field and barely kept possession of the ball. 

Both teams were trying to adapt to the harsh weather conditions, with temperatures reaching 91 degrees. 

Related: USF women’s soccer atop conference standings after win over Rice – The Oracle

The first shot on goal of the game was from Memphis and came right before the water break in the 25th minute.

USF’s first shot was in the 36th minute. Freshman midfielder Noelle Sather dribbled past the opponent and then attacked the middle of the field towards the area. Sather served graduate student midfielder Cordelia Cross, whose shot was just inches off the left side of the post.

USF made many substitutions in the first half, 10 in total. The only players who didn’t leave the field were senior and redshirt freshman defenders Georgia Brown and Ava Rightmire, and junior goalkeeper Leire Herraez Gallach.

Toward the end of the first half, both teams appeared fatigued. There was a lot of space in the midfield, but neither side could take their chances. 

The match was USF’s and Memphis’ 24th meeting. Before Sunday’s loss, the Bulls triumphed in four of the last five games between them, including their last matchup in Tampa in October 2022.

Memphis had three shots on goal, but Herraez Gallach had no saves. This was due to USF’s strong defensive work, especially by Brown, who blocked shots and made crucial tackles in the box.

USF’s biggest chance came from freshman forward Joy Kimwemwe. She chipped the goalkeeper, but the ball was just inches off the crossbar.

Memphis’ goal came in the 73rd minute from a cross from the left wing into the area. Freshman midfielder Anna Hauer was alone at the penalty spot and just had to kick it inside, leaving no chance for Herraez Gallach.

The Bulls felt the urge to come back, creating chances and taking shots on goal. However, the attempts weren’t successful.

USF women’s soccer returns to action on Thursday against UAB at 7 p.m. at Corbett Stadium for another AAC matchup.