OPINION: USF’s go-to pub sub orders

Here are students and faculty’s favorite pub subs.  ORACLE PHOTO/ JESLIAN QUILES-SIERRA

After writing an article about why pub subs should be the official sandwich of USF students, I prompted readers with a question: What’s your favorite pub sub?

Personally, I love a turkey sub on white bread with provolone, spinach, mayo, salt and pepper.

This week, I asked students and faculty that same question.

This is what they had to say. 

Charles Adams

Dean of the Judy Genshaft Honors College

ORACLE PHOTO/ TONI PHAN

“I order the veggie sub everytime,” Adams said. “My favorite part about the Publix sandwiches is that they are quality ingredients and they’re quick and convenient.”

Hannah Fineis 

Graphic Designer for the Honors College 

ORACLE PHOTO/TONI PHAN

“I am actually deathly allergic to dairy so I can’t eat pub subs. I actually found that out working at the Publix deli,” Fineis said. 

“I worked in the deli and the bakery and all of a sudden I was just breaking out in hives and it was a slow progression and I started to go into anaphylactic shock at work. I had to go to the hospital and everything.”

Lindy Davidson 

Associate dean of academic affairs in the Judy Genshaft Honors College

ORACLE PHOTO/TONI PHAN

“I usually get the Cuban,” Davidson said. “I get it toasted. I used to get it with honey butter, but they no longer do the honey butter, which is kind of disappointing.”

“I think lobbying for Publix to bring honey butter back to the pub sub Cuban is a good idea.”

Abigail Saxe

Senior mass communications major 

ORACLE PHOTO/CATHERINE PAULITZ

“My pub sub order is Italian five-grain bread, a little bit of mayo, chicken tenders tossed in the pepper house sauce,” Saxe said. “Then, provolone cheese on top, toasted, lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, sometimes avocado if I’m feeling that. Oil and vinegar and that’s it.”

Joan Field

Assistant to the dean and academic services administrator 

ORACLE PHOTO/TONI PHAN

“I either get the roast beef with provolone but I also like the Buccaneers sub. It was a special sub and it was roast beef, ham and turkey,” Field said.

Dana Taylor 

Director of communications and marketing at the Judy Genshaft Honors College 

ORACLE PHOTO/ TONI PHAN

“I’m Canadian, it’s embarrassing, I didn’t have Publix growing up so I barely know it,” Taylor said. “I have had them, they’re amazing. The value is insane, it’s so many toppings that it blows your mind. My order would be something along the Buffalo chicken variety.”

Zoë Daffinson

Sophomore philosophy major

ORACLE PHOTO/ TONI PHAN

“I don’t get this one all the time, but just for the sake of having an unpopular opinion, I would say the falafel one,” Daffinson said. “I really like that one.”