USF women’s soccer finding success in the midst of change

Senior defensive midfielder Peyton Felton dribbles against an opponent in a match against UCF on Sept. 5. ORACLE PHOTO / LILY FOX

USF women’s soccer team is navigating a season of transition under first-year head coach Chris Brown. 

In discussing the team’s progress this season, Brown highlighted the core principles that support their success.

“What I’ve preached about our team is our adaptability, our flexibility, and I think that’s the reason we have such a quality team,” Brown said after a game against Charlotte on Sept. 12. 

USF has an overall record of 6-2-3 and a 1-1-2 mark in the American Athletic Conference. 

Here’s what you need to know about the team at the season’s halfway point.

New coach, new energy

Brown substituted his wife and former USF head coach, Denise Schilte-Brown, who led USF for 17 years and now managesc the Tampa Bay Sun. 

The team started the season off with a 5-0 loss to Florida State, the No. 1 team in the nation at that time, before they went on a three-game winning streak.

USF claimed wins against Jacksonville 5-1, Southern 5-0 and FGCU 4-0, in which it scored 14 times and conceded just once. 

His coaching philosophy emphasizes a creative offense and solid defense, aiming to build a well-rounded squad.

“I much prefer scoring a lot and being able to breathe a little bit, versus the one-zero games we’ve lived through the last couple years where it’s tight to the end,” said Brown after 4-0 win over FGCU on Aug. 25. 

Lack of goals

USF is ranked No. 35 in shots per game, with an average of 17.36, according to the NCAA

But the Bulls have lacked the ability to secure goal-scoring opportunities so far. With only 20 goals scored this season, they average .105 shots converted in goals. 

Looking deeper, the Bulls have 89 shots on goal out of 191, averaging .466 shots on goal. Only .225 on target go to the back of the net. 

Mid-season MVP

Senior defender Georgia Brown has been the Bulls’ highlight player of the season. 

Georgia Brown has played 11 games and accumulated 914 minutes of play. No other player has played more minutes so far. 

She has improved the Bulls’ defense and made their offense stronger, scoring four goals and claiming two assists so far.

Georgia Brown has also been recognized for her play, having been named AAC Defender of the Week twice this season. 

Game of the season

A 1-0 win over UCF on Sept. 5 at home capped off non-conference play before the Bulls’ AAC opener.

It was the first time the teams faced each other since the Knights left the conference to join the Big-12 in July 2023. 

With only five minutes left on the clock, sophomore midfielder Elyse Thornton scored the game-winning goal.

Related: USF women’s soccer beats UCF on I-4 War – The Oracle

It marked USF’s seventh victory over the Knights. Historically, UCF has more wins over USF, with a 13-4-7 record. 

Before this season’s matchup, women’s soccer hadn’t claimed a victory in a War on I-4 since 2021.

Slow start of conference play

In AAC play, the Bulls have faced mixed results. A 1-1-2 record reflects both the highs of victory and the frustrations of close contests. 

Draws against Charlotte and FAU and a narrow at-home loss to No. 17. Memphis highlighted areas for improvement. However, it also showcased the team’s potential to compete with top conference rivals.

The Bulls return to action at 7 p.m. Thursday for another AAC game against UAB at Corbett Stadium.

Grade: B