USF’s Rashad Cheney retires from football

Graduate defensive lineman Rashad Cheney was a key contributor in 2023, totaling 8.5 tackles for loss. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF graduate defensive lineman Rashad Cheney announced on Oct. 4 that he was “medically retiring” from football. 

The 22-year-old shared the career update via Instagram, citing health reasons for his departure from the sport.

“As I reflect on my journey, I realize that prioritizing my health is crucial for being the best dad I can be to my little girl,” Cheney said in the statement.

The news comes after he played three games for the Bulls this year, totaling six tackles. Cheney notably didn’t appear in South Florida’s 45-10 loss against Tulane on Sept. 28. 

In his weekly press conference, head coach Alex Golesh gave insight into why Cheney made his decision.

“You know, he’s old enough that he knows his body … going into that game, it didn’t feel right, and he’s fought it like crazy,” Golesh said.

South Florida will now be without one of their stronger locker room presences, as Golesh said Cheney was a positive influence on his teammates.

“Physically and emotionally, he’s a leader on this team,” said Golesh. “A guy that that the D-line really has counted on to lead

Cheney has dealt with multiple injuries since transferring from Minnesota to USF in 2022. In his first season with the Bulls, he appeared in only six games before being sidelined with a season-ending ankle injury against Cincinnati. 

The following year, Cheney had a bounce-back season, starting all 12 games for the team. He  was one of the Bulls’ best defensive linemen last year, accounting for 42 tackles, including 8.5 for loss.

His 2023 performance highlighted him as one of the American Athletic Conference’s best defensive players, earning him a spot on the 2024 Lindy’s Preseason All-AAC Second Team.

In the offseason Cheney suffered another setback, as he got injured again during the first full-padded practice in spring.

Related: USF football overpowered in 45-10 loss to Tulane, Brown injured again

The Bulls defense will have to replace Cheney’s production for a team that has already had troubles on the defensive side of the ball. USF’s defense has ranked 115th through five weeks of play according to statistics on the NCAA’s website. 

Cheney’s exit also adds to a growing trend of key losses for the Bulls this season. Six players have been sidelined for USF early in its 2024 campaign, including two of their top athletes.

Jhalyn Shuler, 2023’s leading tackler, missed four games to start the year. Junior quarterback Byrum Brown sustained a leg injury against Tulane, and there hasn’t been confirmation if he will play Saturday versus Memphis.

Related: USF’s Byrum Brown improving after early fourth quarter exit against Miami

In Cheney’s post, he expressed his gratitude for his teammates during his USF tenure.

“To my teammates, you have been more than just friends; You’ve been a family,” Cheney said.

Several USF players commented on Cheney’s post, including Brown with a simple message of “Love Bro. 

While Cheney’s career on the field may be over, Golesh said he is confident he’ll excel in the next chapter of his life.

I think he’s going to be such a success in life,” Golesh said.” He knows that we’ve talked a bunch, and we’ll see what’s next for him. But I bet you he will be uber successful.”