USF’s offense struggles to execute midway through season

Junior quarterback Byrum Brown celebrates after catching a touchdown against Miami. ORACLE PHOTO / LILY FOX

Executing a program’s identity can be challenging in the world of college football. 

For USF, this process took place long before head coach Alex Golesh was hired in 2023. 

“[Speed] is our identity.” Golesh said in a press conference before playing Miami, “I’d imagine that’s part of the reason I got the job.” 

Related: Second-half woes doom Bulls again

With Golesh at the helm, USF (2-4, 0-2 AAC) ran the most plays per game in college football in 2023. USF hadn’t been in the top 20 in the ranking since the 2017-18 season, when they were 2nd in the nation. 

But throughout the 2024 season, the Bulls have largely failed to make their speedy identity work for them. 

The Bulls find themselves in a three-game slide with an offense that is sputtering out. They have failed to score more than 15 points in a single game during their streak. 

Here’s what’s important about USF’s offensive difficulty this season: 

Bulls in a China shop 

In its last three games, USF has averaged less than two yards per attempt. This has been a stark contrast from the norm for the Bulls’ offense.

USF ran the ball only 19 times against Memphis compared to 41 passing attempts. USF was out possessed by 23 minutes and scored only 3 points. 

Despite this, USF is a run-heavy offense, rushing for 178.8 yards on the ground per game this season and 182.8 last year. 

Junior quarterback Byrum Brown is vital to the Bulls’ rushing attack. He has racked up the second most rushing yards on the team as well as the most carries. 

But the foundation of USF’s rushing attack are senior running backs Kelley Joiner and Nay’Quan Wright.

Joiner and Wright both have rushed for more than 240 yards this season as well as have eclipsed 40 carries. Wright also rushed for 797 yards in the 2023 season, carrying the ball 180 times.

In both of USF’s wins this year, the Bulls have rushed for more than 200 yards. 

Rushing plays allow for the offense to run the quick tempo that fuels USF’s identity.

“We’re a tempo offense” Golesh said in a press conference before the Southern Miss game “There’s a rhythm to it,”

T-t-t-t-time 

USF’s passing attack has not been accurate either. In their three-game skid, the Bulls’ quarterbacks had a 56% completion rate, 5% lower than the FBS average of 61%. 

Incompletions stop the clock, something that is detrimental to a team that is trying to play fast.

USF was out possessed by more than 20 minutes against two of the last three teams they have lost to. Possessing the ball for such a small amount of time makes scoring opportunities hard to come by. 

The Bulls’ quarterbacks have not thrown a touchdown in three games despite the increased throwing output. 

When the scheme works, it is effective. 

In week three, USF routed Southern Miss with a dominant offensive performance, rushing for 369 yards and averaging 7.2 yards per carry. 

“When you’re in a rhythm it’s easy to keep going,” Golesh said after the game. 

And the Bulls kept going – Joiner and Wright rushed for over 100 yards each while punching in three touchdowns between the two. 

Brown ran for another 72 yards while throwing for 193 and two passing touchdowns.

Since the game against Southern Miss, USF has resorted back to their passing game, throwing the ball more than it ran it in every game. 

3rd down 

USF ranks 19th with most third downs in the nation but only converts 31% at a time. 

Converting on third down allows an offense to continue their drives, which presents more opportunities to score. 

During USF’s losing streak, the Bulls have failed to do either.

To put it into context, Tulane converted 30 first downs against USF, including eight third down conversions. 

Related: Bulls wipe out on Green Wave 

The Bulls only converted 12 first downs throughout the game, moving the chains on six of their 13 third down attempts. 

“We’re built to be able to chunk yards once you’re able to effectively run it,” Golesh said after the loss against Tulane “[You have] to put yourself in third and manageable.” 

Against Memphis, USF faced 13 third down attempts and only converted one. 

USF has not created scoring opportunities either. 

In the last three games, the only Bull to score a touchdown was Byrum Brown, punching in two rushing touchdowns and catching another. In that time, the Bulls have allowed 15 offensive touchdowns. 

Looking forward

Despite the offense’s slow start, there is still optimism for the future in the USF locker room.

Senior wide receiver Abdur-Rahmaan Yaseen is second on the team in catches.

“We prepare individually every week as if it’s the last game we’re going to play,” Yaseen said in an interview.