OPINION: USF students, don’t fret about having the “right” major

Can’t choose what degree to pursue? Don’t worry, life is more than a piece of paper. ORACLE PHOTO/ JUSTIN SEECHARAN

“I have no idea what I want to do.” 

Entering your adviser’s office, going into a frenzy and finally just declaring undecided as your major is nothing to be ashamed of. 

You don’t have to have it all together and feel pressured to settle with a major as soon as you get to USF. Not knowing what to do career-wise after graduation is okay. 

After perusing the USF catalog of offered majors, I was encouraged by my transfer adviser to choose integrated public relations and advertising since I love to write (obviously).

Am I certain this is the right choice? As of today, nope. 

My biggest regret is not pursuing a STEM major, a result of my impulsive decision in the adviser’s office to avoid anything math-related. 

Related: It’s never too late to social network at USF

I was still suffering from my math experience at community college, a place that relied on software that clashed with my Apple Macbook and that was also devoid of tutoring resources.

I was always good at math and am still puzzled why I gave up my pursuit of a more rigorous major. 

I’m a prime example of someone who has too many interests and couldn’t pick a satisfactory major. 

I’m all over the place. But this is perfectly normal.

I have learned that college is a time for exploration – a chance to take a variety of classes and discover what truly excites you. 

Related: The grind never stops, but it should.

Sure, you might find yourself surrounded by classmates who seem passionate and have already secured jobs in their fields. 

I know what you’re thinking. 

“Why am I even here? I don’t feel the same way as they do about this subject material nor do I know what I want to do with it.” 

There’s always a select few who are lucky in life and receive some realization on what they should do.

I distinctly remember feeling this way in one of my public relations courses last fall. Many of the students had already landed incredible internships and high-up positions for sports companies around Florida. 

I felt out of place and lacking motivation since I wasn’t as enthusiastic about the subject matter as my classmates.

Related: USF students, enjoy your ‘freshman 15’

But then it made me realize something.

Why should I care about the trajectory of all the students around me? I’m not getting their degree, they are. 

I need to figure out my next steps towards the end goal of graduation.

I am a senior, just seven months away from graduation without the slightest clue of what I want to do after I walk across the stage.

And you know what? That’s okay.

I’ll leave you with this: Your past doesn’t define you. Your future doesn’t define you. Your major doesn’t define you. And your career certainly won’t define you.