USF takes down UAB 35-25 in second-half comeback

Graduate running back Kelley Joiner scored three second-half touchdowns in USF’s win over UAB on Saturday. ORACLE PHOTO / WILL RAINSBERGER

After a rocky first half, USF returned to form en route to a 35-25 win over UAB on Saturday.

It was USF’s (3-4, 1-2 AAC) first American Athletic Conference victory of the season and comes after three straight losses – two of them in AAC play.

Bulls coach Alex Golesh said he was happy to get the first win in conference play. Still, he described the first three quarters as sloppy.

The Bulls made the return to Raymond James Stadium after Hurricane Milton forced the Bulls to play in Orlando.

Related: USF Football game against Memphis relocated to Orlando

“It felt awesome,” Golesh said. “It’s been a rough few weeks for a lot of people.” 

The first half was plagued with stagnant drives on offense, with USF punting four times in a row to open the game. 

A USF punt set up UAB (1-6, 0-4 AAC) for a field goal on the Blazers’ second drive. USF responded with a touchdown pass that was called back for an illegal touching penalty.

Golesh emphasized focusing on costly details after the game.

“In a really close game, that’s the difference between winning and losing,” Golesh said.

The Bulls’ drive stalled and they were forced to punt.

Related: USF offense struggles to execute midway through season

After a UAB punt, graduate receiver Sean Atkins fumbled a ball that was recovered for a touchdown by USF sophomore defensive back Jarvis Lee.

After review, it was determined Atkins was down. 

Golesh gave sophomore receiver Keshaun Singleton credit for an offensive kickstart.

“[He] got it going for us offensively,” Golesh said

USF followed the play with a 67-yard touchdown pass to Singleton, making the score 7-3. It was South Florida’s first passing touchdown since week four against Miami. 

The Bulls’ defense held strong to close out the first half, with the Blazers only scoring a pair of field goals. 

USF’s first half was held down by flags on both sides of the ball. The Bulls were called for five penalties which cost them 30 yards. 

The second half was a tumultuous affair. Some USF players even resorted to blows in the sidelines. 

Golesh said he was embarrassed by the spat and that the issue will be “handled internally.”

“It’s completely against everything you ever want,” he said.

UAB opened the third quarter with another pair of field goals to take a 19-7 lead. 

Senior running back Ta’Ron Keith punched in a four-yard touchdown shortly after to cut the lead to five. 

The Bulls’ running attack returned to form, rushing for 148 yards in the game.

“That second half is what it should look like,” Golesh said “You wear them down and you run the ball.” 

Archie tacked on a strong passing game to the Bulls’ offensive scheme. He threw for two touchdowns and 201 yards in his first win as a starter in his Bulls career.

“It was everything,” Archie said after the game. “I’ve waited two and a half years to come out and show everyone what I can do.” 

After an exchange of punts, UAB completed a seven-yard passing touchdown.

From there, it was all USF. 

Freshman defensive end Ira Singleton got a third down sack that forced UAB to punt. Atkins returned the punt for 54 yards and set USF up for an eventual Joiner touchdown.

Atkins broke the record for most receptions in USF history earlier in the game, hauling in his 154th reception in the green and gold.

Joiner rushed for 94 yards and two touchdowns, catching another touchdown in the third. 

“We focused on getting our run game back this whole week,” Joiner said “It felt good to get the run game back.” 

USF will now enter its second bye week with a win. 

Next up, USF will play FAU at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 1. The game will be broadcast on ESPN2 and Bulls Unlimited.