USF football fan pages voice frustration: ‘Expectations have not been met’

Bulls fans celebrate with school mascot Rocky in season opening win against Bethune-Cookman. ORACLE PHOTO // ALEJANDRA MARTINEZ

What does it mean to be a fan?

For the Bulls community, it’s more than just cheering – it’s a rollercoaster of emotions.

From high hopes to crushing disappointments, USF fan pages are full of discussions, painting a picture of a community dedicated to supporting Bulls football.

Three major Bulls pages – Get Live USF, Bulls Daily and Red Cup – on Instagram connect fans by sharing team updates and highlights with engaging content. Here’s what they have to say about USF’s season so far.

“Fan engagement and interest in the football team is higher than I’ve ever seen,” an admin from Get Live USF said.

Related: USF football at midseason: ‘Not good enough’

“I’m surprised by how much the offense has regressed from last year,” Bulls Daily said. “This year, they can’t seem to throw the ball to save their lives.”

South Florida has struggled in both the passing and rushing game, managing only six touchdown passes this season.

Fans have become frustrated with offensive struggles and coordinator Joel Gordon’s lack of functional responses to recurring problems.

“Gordon isn’t responding to offensive issues effectively enough, considering every game is almost the same story” Red Cup said.

Ahead of the 35-25 win against UAB on Oct. 16, Gordon himself said the offense has “not [been] good enough.”

On defense, both Get Live and Bulls Daily said that coordinator Todd Orlando’s unit still has room for improvement.

South Florida has allowed 41 plays of 20+ yards this season, ranking 115th nationally with an average of 6.7 yards per play.

“We’ve struggled with giving up big plays… and I’d love to see that change ASAP,” Get Live said.

USF fans cheer on the team at Raymond James Stadium against Miami on Sept 21. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Despite the frustrations, bright spots have emerged in individual performances.

On offense, graduate running back Kelley Joiner Jr. has become a fan favorite, leading the Bulls with 364 yards and six touchdowns.

“As a senior, he’s carrying the running backs position and providing strength to our offense,” said Red Cup.

Defensively, graduate linebacker Mac Harris has emerged as the standout favorite, leading the team with 46 tackles.

“He’s been one of the strongest linebackers we have this season,” Get Live said.

Related: Why these USF transfers made the move: ‘Not about the logo’

Fan influence has also been a key topic. Bulls Daily credited both increased turnout and energy with making a difference in how players perform.

USF has seen records shattered this year. In the home game against Miami, over 15,000 student tickets were sold.

“The fan community has been fantastic this season, especially after weathering several storms,” Bulls Daily said.

Hurricane Milton caused significant damage to the Tampa Bay area, resulting in the relocation of a USF game.

However, some believe there is room for improvement to increase the home-field advantage.

“Fans (especially those with sideline seats) don’t really get loud on third down,” Get Live said.

School mascot Rocky looks on during season opening win against Bethune-Cookman. ORACLE PHOTO / ALEJANDRA MARTINEZ

As USF heads into the second half of the season, hopes for a turnaround are still alive.

“A bowl game appearance does seem likely,” Red Cup said, noting the potential to attract recruits for the future.

With a more favorable schedule ahead based on opponents’ records, fans believe the Bulls have a shot to end the season on a high note.

“I haven’t entirely given up on this team,” Bulls Daily said. “I still have hope that we can turn the ship around.”

All fan page admins wished to remain anonymous.