USF men’s soccer loses to Hofstra in the season’s last non-conference game

Senior striker Gunnar Studenhofft dribbling two players on Tuesday’s night match against No. 18 Hofstra at Corbett Stadium. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF fell 3-1 to No. 18 Hofstra at Corbett Stadium in its last non-conference game of the season Tuesday night. 

Tuesday’s game was the second time teams faced each other. The last match was on Nov. 17 in 2022 in the first-round of the NCAA tournament. The Bulls won that game by 4-2. 

The defeat marks just the second home loss for the Bulls since the start of the regular season.

Related: USF men’s soccer wins battle against FIU on conference opener 

USF (5-4-4,3-2 AAC) started the match on the right foot, controlling possession and generating early scoring opportunities. However, a defensive lapse allowed Hofstra to strike first.

In the sixth minute, Hofstra’s Teddy Baker capitalized on a cross from the right flank, sending a low shot into the bottom right corner, beyond the reach of graduate student goalkeeper Felix Schaefer. 

Schaefer was named American Athletic Conference Goalkeeper of the Week on Monday. It was his third time winning this recognition. 

Hofstra (10-3-2, 4-2 CAA) doubled its lead in the 23rd minute when Jack O’Malley found the back of the net after a deflection inside the box. 

The Pride made the most of their opportunities, scoring twice on their first three shots on goal to take firm control of the match.

Bulls head coach Bob Butehorn expressed his frustration with his team’s performance, especially after the early setbacks.

“It’s sincerely disappointing to look at that opportunity,” he said. “That was not a game we should have lost.” 

Related: USF’s men’s soccer mid-season report card: Bulls struggle to clinch wins

Despite the early deficit, USF came out stronger in the second half. 

The Bulls took five shots in the first 10 minutes after the break, forcing Hofstra senior goalkeeper Filippo Dadone to make three difficult saves. 

Senior forward Gunnar Studenhofft provided a spark in the 58th minute, dribbling past a Hofstra defender before setting up sophomore midfielder Michael Owens for his first goal of the season. 

Owens became the eighth USF player to score their first career goal this year.

Butehorn praised the team’s second-half effort but lamented the missed chances.

“We had plenty of chances to tie it up and go for the win, and we just didn’t pull it out,” Butehorn said.

USF continued to apply pressure late in the game, but Hofstra’s defense held firm. 

In the final minutes, sophomore midfielder Sean O’Donnell sealed the win for the Pride, scoring their third and final goal with just 90 seconds remaining.

Despite the loss, USF remains one of the top defensive teams in the NCAA, currently ranked 12th in shutouts this season.

The Bulls will look to bounce back in their next match against Tulsa at 7 p.m. Thursday. It will be their last home game of the regular season.

We’re training the future of journalism. Support us