OPINION: USF parking is a nightmare. An app could fix that.

With the help of technology, parking on campus can be a breeze. ORACLE PHOTO/WILL RAINSBERGER

So are we all just going to ignore the parking issue at USF?

Last fall, USF’s Parking and Transportation Services (PATS) sold 20,213 parking passes. There are 20,761 parking spots on campus, said PATS director Scott Fox.

With record numbers of enrollment this new school year, something needs to be done about the parking situation.

I believe I have just the fix: A free app where students can track available parking spots on campus.

Something like this could help reduce the amount of time students spend circling a parking garage to no avail. 

Other Florida universities have already implemented technology like this to ease concerns with parking. 

Related: USF parking has cashed in over $25M in permit sales since 2021

The University of Central Florida’s Parking Services webpage shows the availability of different garages, while the University of Florida enabled a “smart parking system” a few years back.

USF should follow suit. 

I present to you a hypothetical (or real-life scenario):

I make it to campus 40 minutes before my 11 a.m. starts. After entering the Collins Boulevard Parking Facility, I quickly realize there are no spaces. 

Fast forward 20 minutes and I’ve now spent $10 worth of gas while searching for a spot. 

An app would use sensors and cameras located throughout the parking lots to give me updated availability, saving me both time and gas money. 

Now, I can make it to my 11 a.m. without having to rush up the stairs (and pretending like I’m not out of breath).

Related: USF parking is not for the weak

Students would be able to log in with their university credentials and opt in to receive push notifications when a space opens up in their preferred parking area.

Another key feature would be an interactive map view to show the location of where students are and aren’t allowed to park based on their respective permit type. 

Genuinely, no one wants to spend their morning circling the Collins Boulevard Parking Facility like a hawk.

Let’s rally together to optimize the future of USF parking. Who’s with me?