OPINION: Why USF students should be all for Amendment 4

Access to abortion is access to healthcare. ORACLE GRAPHIC/ LILY FOX

Florida’s statewide near-ban on abortion is unfair and unsafe, to say the least. 

This election year, voters have the opportunity to change that.

This election year in Florida, there are many important amendments on the ballot, such as Amendment Four.  

If not passed, abortions will remain illegal after six weeks under Florida’s current abortion law.

The Heartbeat Protection Act, which went into effect May 1, allows exceptions in cases of rape, human trafficking or incest up to 15 weeks of pregnancy. There are also exceptions if the abortion could save a person’s life or to prevent “substantial and irreversible” physical impairment. 

Access to abortion healthcare is vital because it gives women freedom over their bodies.

Related: Joe Biden visits Tampa to talk abortion rights

Russell Kirby, a USF public health professor, said most women don’t even know they’re pregnant at six weeks. 

“When you have a six-week abortion ban, that’s basically the same thing as having a total abortion ban,” Kirby said. 

The amendment ensures abortion remains accessible before the fetus is viable, which is generally around 24 weeks of pregnancy, Kirby said.

Viability means whether a pregnancy is expected to continue developing normally or if the fetus can survive out of the womb, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

The amendment would prioritize the mental wellbeing of living women, rather than forcing them to carry a baby to term under painful circumstances.

“I have seen many individuals who were sexually assaulted and struggle to recover from that trauma,” said Amanda Murdock, a senior criminology student. “Requiring women to birth and raise a child pushes women to unsafe measures, the cycle of traumatization and pain becomes further perpetuated.”

Related: Abortion and marijuana amendments are pressing concerns for USF students

Many critics who oppose the amendment may believe abortions are unethical and that abortions can be done after birth.

It’s a misconception that’s been spread by many conservative politicians, including former President Donald Trump.

Related: USF, it’s time to register to vote

In reality, this isn’t the case.

“99% of abortions that are done in the U.S. happen before the beginning of the third trimester,” Kirby said. “Only in the ones after, there’s almost always a significant health risk to the mother that the physicians are trying to juggle and manage in the best way that they can.”

This is your chance to help protect reproductive rights.

Election day is on Nov. 5 and early voting dates will depend on your location.

In Hillsborough County, early voting is from now to Nov. 3. 

The USF Training Center is an early voting location for those registered to vote on Tampa Campus. The voting location on Election Day will be at the Marshall Student Center.

Your vote is your choice. Vote yes for a woman’s right to choose.