USF men’s basketball coach Amir Abdur-Rahim dies at 43

Men’s basketball coach Amir Abdur-Rahim died less than two weeks before starting his second season at USF. ORACLE PHOTO/ARIANNA RENICK

USF men’s basketball coach Amir Abdur-Rahim died due to complications from a medical procedure Thursday, the university confirmed

Abdur-Rahim was 43-years old and is survived by his wife and three children.

The university released a statement confirming his death Thursday evening. 

“All of us with South Florida Athletics are grieving with the loved ones of coach Abdur-Rahim,” Athletics Director Michael Kelly said.

Abdur-Rahim was born in Marietta, Georgia, as the youngest of thirteen children. His older brother Shareef Abdur-Rahim was an NBA All-Star and is the president of the NBA’s G-League. 

He had stints at Charleston, Murray State and Texas A&M as an assistant before winding back in his home state in 2018, serving as an assistant coach at Georgia.

There, he had a pivotal role in recruiting guard Anthony Edwards – the eventual No. 1 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft. 

He was hired by Kennesaw State, a university just about seven miles north of his hometown – to revitalize its basketball program.

In his first year, the Golden Owls won a single game. By his fourth season, they were in the NCAA tournament.

He took that rebuilding mindset to USF when he was hired in 2023 – a program that had only seen one winning season in the last decade. 

It took only one season for Abdur-Rahim to lead the turnaround this time. 

“I asked MK, are you afraid of heights?” Abdur-Rahim said during his introductory press conference. “Because you’re going to have to get up on that ladder one day to cut down those nets.”

USF won a program-record 25 games last season, ending with three-straight sellouts of the Yuengling Center. The Bulls made an AP poll appearance for the first time in school history, being ranked as high as No. 24. 

And by the end of the season, it was Abdur-Rahim cutting down those nets. USF clinched its first ever regular-season conference championship. 

The Bulls also made the second-round of the NIT for the first time since 1995 before losing to Virginia Commonwealth on March 24. 

A memorial outside the Yuengling Center at the Tampa campus was made in honor of Coach Amir Abdur-Rahim on Thursday night. ORACLE PHOTO/NOAH VINSKY

Abdur-Rahim was less than two weeks away from tipping off his second season at USF against Florida – a season that’s expected to be one the most anticipated in school history. 

Several USF figures offered their support in the wake of the news. 

“I am devastated by the sudden passing of my good friend Amir Abdur-Rahim,” said USF football coach Alex Golesh

USF president Rhea Law said Abdur-Rahim made an “indelible impact” at the university. 

“In his first season as our head coach, he brought an unmatched enthusiasm, achieved unprecedented success and helped generate unforgettable memories for Bulls Nation,” Law said.

A memorial was assembled outside the Yuengling Center Thursday night, with people laying down USF shirts, flowers and balloons to honor Abdur-Rahim. 

People laid down flowers, USF shirts and balloons to remember coach Amir Abdur-Rahim. One poster reads “Elite human. Rest easy.” ORACLE PHOTO/NOAH VINSKY

Players also reacted on social media – including freshman guard CJ Brown and junior forward Kobe Knox.

“I can’t believe it,” Knox said in an Instagram story post. “I love you man.” 

Sophomore guard Jayden Reid shared an emotional post on Instagram following the news. 

“All you did was love everyone around you,” Reid said. “Thank you for believing in me and pushing me to be my best when no one else would take a chance on me.” 

Others from across college basketball nationwide also expressed their condolences. Kentucky head coach Mark Pope said he was “saddened” by the news. 

“He was a championship-winning coach and an exceptional leader of young men,” Pope said in an X post. 

Texas head coach Rodney Terry said in an X post that the sport lost a “rising star.”

“A great coach, but a better person,” Terry said.

Reid, the sophomore guard, said he knew from day one that Abdur-Rahim was the coach he wanted to play for.

The Bulls are set to play their first game of the season on Nov. 4

“PROMISE ima finish what you started,” Reid said. 

This story was updated.

Noah Vinsky, Sports Editor

Noah Vinsky is the sports editor for The Oracle. He’s a mass communications and psychology dual-major and started writing for The Oracle in the fall of 2022. His focus is on football, men’s basketball and the on-campus stadium development. Reach him at noahjosephvinsky@usf.edu

Profile